Monday, September 14, 2009

Read Aloud: Jin Woo by Eve Bunting




Today we read the book "Jin Woo" by author Eve Bunting. The story is about a young boy named David and his mixed feelings about his family adopting a baby boy from Korea. Bunting does an excellent job of delicately expressing David's anxieties about how his parents will have enough love for both children. However, on the drive home from the airport, David and Jin Woo share a tender moment and from then on, David's heart is hooked. The story ends with David passing on his favourite toy to his new brother.


"Good readers have busy brains when they read." This is a class slogan. I modeled the type of thinking readers do through making connections between the text and the reader's own life; in this case, my experiences as an adopted child and how I navigated becoming an older sister to my younger brother and sister. Furthermore, I connected to how David's family were facing the exciting challenge of keeping Jin Woo's Korean traditions alive as he grows. My brother is a member of the First Nations and he has always had a deep appreciation of his culture thanks to my parents.


We will spend the next several periods of Reader's Workshop reading and documenting our connections to the texts we read.

No comments:

Post a Comment